I “think” that I have found a study method that works. I hope.
This is all new to us. Quintus being the eldest and this our first year of exams, it was difficult
to say the least for us to find something that works. For both of us.
Children differ and the way I studied differs from what works for Quintus. Since some of you asked what is working for him now, I’ll give you a small break-down. Maybe you have an even better idea and then please share!!!!!
- Firstly I sit with him and choose a certain amount of work to study. Our mini-goal before he may take a break.
- We sit together and I will go through the work. I will point out (even write small notes of) the important parts. I’m sure that in time he will learn from me and will be able to do this himself.
- I then leave him to read through the work 3 times.
- He must then make his own notes of the important words (while still looking in the book) ….a summary, under each heading.
- He then takes the summary, closes the notes and see if he can recall what he wrote.
- He will then come back to me, I’ll ask him some questions and he takes his break.
I have realized that Quintus needs to write down what he is learning. He doesn’t concentrate by reading. He is forced to concentrate when he writes. However, he doesn’t write fast, so I can’t expect him to write everything.
This works for us. For now. I just wish we had more time to prepare for next week’s exam!!!