Year-end post 2010
I’m doing a year-end post again, like I did last year.
1.What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Give up a child. No not one of my own children but I had to accept that someone ripped a child that I loved out of my life and I couldn’t change that. It was heartbreaking. It is heartbreaking.
Own a bakkie. I would never have thought I would want one, drive one and love one!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I had plans … not resolutions.
- I want to sell our house (or get rid of the pool)
- I want to find the patience I once had. I lost it some time / some where this year
Well, we didn’t sell our home although we might be doing it early in 2011. I did work on getting back some of my lost patience. Will have to do more of that in 2011!
New year’s resolutions for 2011? Or maybe plans? I think plans are always good. Let’s see:
- Spending more time with my kids and Tommie
- Taking the dogs for daily walks
- Be more ‘in charge’, more assertive
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, no-one close to me. Although my cousin is having a baby boy in just a couple of weeks
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully not.
5. What countries did you visit?
Only my very own country where I live. Although via internet, I’ve visited many friends in many countries.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
No seriously, there is nothing that I feel I need more of now. Something I lacked.
7. What date(s) from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day Kyla went to stay with her grandparents. Just the way it happened. It hurt me and my family a lot.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year
Passing Grade 4!? lol I think just the way I’ve grown up. I know that sounds weird coming from a 36 year old but I have matured more this year. Hurt has a way of making you face yourself in a raw and honest way.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I could probably find things if I wanted to to but I don’t feel anything happened that makes me a failure this year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was sick often this year. It just seemed as though I would never be 100 % healthy. Right now I have the worst throat infection I’ve ever had. Had a bad ear infection that lasted weeks.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Mmmm…sadly had to replace my N97 before the end of it’s contract and just bought a cheap Blackberry. I’m in love and can’t wait so that I can upgrade to a proper one.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
I’m always chuffed about how my boys behave. They have their moments but mostly I can dress them up and take them out into public 😉
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Kyla’s family. Tommie’s dad (although at least he seems to be treating Tommie better now)
14. Where did most of your money go?
Helping friends of ours. We put a lot of money into keeping them fed, clothed and in a house.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Sjoe, how sad but there is nothing that really stands out here.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
We’ve spent many many too many late nights visiting with friends. Lots of Afrikaans songs played.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? Happier
Thinner or fatter? Fatter
Richer or poorer? Richer but in many more ways than money
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I couldn’t have worked more. I did spend a lot of time with the kids. Tommie and I spent enough time together. I think it was a decent – balanced year.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Cried less about something I couldn’t change. Actually that’s not true. It was the only way I could cope with my feelings.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We actually had a great time this year. Christmas Eve was at my mom’s house (Santa only knows the way there) and Christmas day was at our home with my parents, Tommie’s mom and man of our friends. It was different in that we didn’t just have family but it was so nice.
21. How will you be spending New Year?
We are spending New Year with old friends of ours. We used to be very close to each other and then they moved. This year we have really built on that friendship again and I’m so glad we are once again close.
22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
With my husband. Our new little puppy.
23. How many one-night stands?
Sjoe, I’m not a one-night-stand kinda girl! 😉
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
The Kardashians lol Yeah, I know! Shocking but it was the only thing that Tommie and I watched together. Then recently The Dog Whisperer. Love that guy.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is a strong word. No I don’t.
26. What was the best book you read?
I tried to read Eat, Pray, Love (still have it next to my bed) but it really didn’t do anything for me. Loved the new Spud book
and I’m so glad they have a movie now!
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Didn’t discover anyone or anything lol
28. What did you want and get?
I see from last years answers, I wanted a laptop. I did get a new one!
29. What did you want and not get?
A new home….with a front door (long story)
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
We actually didn’t watch many movies this year. Nothing that stands out.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36. We were at Buffelspoort (again), like we will probably be for the next 5 years. It’s a yearly thing where many schools get together to play rugby. It always happens to fall over my birthday 🙂
32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Nothing. Even with some bad things that happened, I had a ‘happy’ year.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Poor lol I really need to put some serious money into buying new outfits.
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Even though we love the show “The Kardashians”, we aren’t big into celebs. We all have to brush out teeth in the morning right? All the same.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
How the government isn’t willing to see Farm Murders in any other light but as just another murder. It’s not and everyone knows it.
I was amazed when the death of Eugene Terre’Blanche didn’t cause a bigger political issue than it did. Amazed in a positive way.
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I wouldn’t say new person but we did get a lot closer to some of our friends. That’s always nice. Friendship is very important.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
People don’t keep their word. I’m too trusting and I have learned that I shouldn’t be. This lesson was a very painful one to learn.
40. Quote that sums up your year.
Women are Angels – when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on a broomstick – we’re flexible like that.