Now you are eight
You have been waiting for this very day since the day after your last birthday. You have told me what you want for months. You couldn’t wait to be eight. Here you are little boy. Eight years old.
Let me give you eight things I love most about you. Do remember that I love you from your little toe to your bed-head hair in the mornings. Every single little thing.
- I love that you call me Moeder. Not Mamma like Jason or Mamsie like Quintus but Moeder. Out of your very own. Don’t know where you get it from, since I never refer to myself as your Moeder.
- I love that you wake up with a smile on your face every.single.morning. I cannot think of one day that you have woken up even slightly down. Your smile appears at the same time as you open your eyes. I love that.
- I love that you never allow me to finish my coffee. My little coffee-lover.
- I love how happy you are. That you go with the flow. Even when I ask things that I know will upset most kids, you just say “Ja Moeder” and off you go.
- I love that you love animals the way you do. You adore animals. You have a bond with animals unlike most people. People love animals but there is something special in the way you love them.
- I love that you still sleep in bed with me. I suppose at some stage you will sleep in your own bed but for now I love that warm little body next to mine.
- I love how you look up to your brothers. Boetie Quintus and Boetie Jason. Not just Quintus or Jason. They are your hero’s.
- I love how you love rugby. That you support the Sharks even though no-one else does. That you love playing the game. You play so hard even though for the past 3 years you were the little one on the team.
Happy birthday Zander. I love you more than coffee. More than all the sand on the beach and like I always say, I have loved you before you loved me, so I win.
I never knew how much I wanted you until I held you in my arms.